- classic within enterprise computing centre – zone type GOLD;
- within enterprise private cloud – zone type ORANGE;
- outside enterprise and enterprise-managed private cloud – zone type GREEN;
- outside enterprise and service-provider-managed private cloud – zone type BLUE;
- public cloud (outside enterprise and service-provider-managed by definition) – zone type VIOLET.
1. ranking of an IT service by several characteristics,
2. decision table for acceptability of cloud solution (actually, what ZONEs are acceptable for this IT service).
Note: more than one column for GREEN, BLUE, and VIOLET can be possible if you work with several providers
Example: SharePoint Extranet
Decision table applied
Rules for the recommendation :
- If at least one “NO” then “NO”
- If no “OK” and some “maybe” and “IaaS/PaaS/SaaS” then “maybe” + “IaaS/PaaS/SaaS”
- If some “OK” and some “maybe” and “IaaS/PaaS/SaaS” then “OK” + “IaaS/PaaS/SaaS”
Note: CAPEX and OPEX are functions of a service and a zone type.
Resume: 3 zones are not recommended, 2 accepted as SaaS:
1st preference SaaS in BLUE zone; CAPEX = ... OPEX =... Lead time=....
2nd preference SaaS in GREEN zone; CAPEX =.. OPEX =... Lead time=...