The explicit dependencies between business-specific initiatives, business-generic needs (or business capabilities), IT-generic capabilities and programs demonstrated in figure below allow to explicitly linking the business priorities with the planning of IT actions. The logic of linking is the following:
- each business-specific initiative has its own corporate priority;
- each business-specific initiative requires a particular level of maturity of some existing business-generic needs;
- each business-generic need has its own current level of maturity (can be determined by experts) and the requested level of maturity (so a gap can be identified);
- particular level of maturity for each business-generic need depends on a particular level of maturity of some existing IT capabilities;
- each IT capability has its own current level of maturity (can be determined by experts) and requested level of maturity (so a gap can be identified);
- programmes to close gaps are proposed, and
- priorities of programmes are defined by the contribution into business priorities.