2013-02-25

How #BPM can help to a broken banking transaction

Yesterday, I made (via the "ebanking" interface) a transfer from my USD account (or sub-account) to my CHF account (or sub-account). Such a transfer is an internal transaction and it is executed immediately during normal working days.

As yesterday was Sunday then this transaction was postponed to Monday. At 7:30 AM on Monday I noticed that my USD account was debited at 4:14 AM, but my CHF account was not credited yet. So, money got lost in this internal banking transaction. The Bank's helpdesk told me that my transaction was correct, a ticket is open and I will be called back as the ticket is closed.

A 11:10 AM, with another login to the ebanking, I found that the money has arrived to the CHF account at 8:14 AM. I got no call but only an e-mail confirming the closure of the ticket at 8:50 AM.

Of course, an error situation may occur in any system. It is important to handle errors correctly. The right use of BPM can help with this:
  • a process informs the user about the SLA
  • a process detects and classifys error situations
  • a process creates a ticket for the support team responsible for this error situation
  • a process communicates an abnormal situation to the client (if the SLA is broken)
  • a process may have a a small "side" sub-process to handle errors (as seen at the robotic manufacturing)
More details are in my book (www.samarin.biz/book).

Thanks,
AS

No comments: