My area is to improve not general, but IS/IT capacity of change, because the latter is the main blocking factor in many organizations. Usually, we do some specific initiatives first and then spread and generalize the experience. I use several techniques:
- Show the slide 4 from http://www.slideshare.net/samarin/creating-synergy-between-bpm-and-ea-in-an-egovernment-environment to indicate importance of flexibility.
- Coach the business how to request and test flexibility of different IT products (instead of just compliance to the specs), e.g. a vendor of BPM suite should be asked to implement a simple process and to carry out some changes during the live presentation.
- Prepare prototypes which demonstrate flexibility.
- Rescue “rotten” projects.
A recent example – a tender for an MIS for a governmental agency.
- High level of flexibility explicitly required
- Budget 4,5 MCHF
- About 10 offers
- Classic development – 17 MCHF
- ERP hidden under workflow – 4 MCHF
- BPM-based – 2,5 MCHF
More details are in my new book “Improving enterprise business process management systems” www.samarin.biz/book